Problems writing 720kb PC booter

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
robbo007

Problems writing 720kb PC booter

Post by robbo007 »

Hi all,
I'm trying to test my dump of Wizardry I 720kb IBM PC booter. I have dumped it via the GUI using KryoFlux stream files, preservation and testing write back on a 720kb floppy disk. The disk errors out when booting on a PC with "disk read error" but it displays the Wizardry for the IBM PC bootstrap.

The floppy disk I using fora write test is fine as I've tested it dumping the original disk with Transcopy 5.4 and the troublesome "copied disk" boots into the game without errors.

I've noticed when dumping via KF GUI. I get the error: Extra data was found hidden in unused parts of the block header. Doing a dump via DTC give same results.

Here is the dump if anyone can shed some light?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zef816fu5 ... 9.zip/file

Thanks,

brightcaster

Re: Problems writing 720kb PC booter

Post by brightcaster »

The image does only contain 8 sectors per track. On the other hand, there is data up to track 83!. So it's not a standard 720k IBM format (9 sectors on 80 tracks).

Also side 1 is perfectly aligned to the index, while side 0 has different timings on some tracks. It's not wow or flutter but just a fixed delay on certain tracks. As I haven't seen that before I have no idea what's the cause...

If this is the original it would be interesting to see the differences between the kryoflux rewrite and the transcopy version!

David

robbo007

Post by robbo007 »

Here is the TC version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/u5mae92vw ... C.zip/file

Yeah It was strange to see written data on the last 3 tracks. Normally its greyed out in blank.

I might try a convert from TC to RAW and see if DTC can write that successfully.

robbo007

Post by robbo007 »

I'll image the transcopy rewrite this evening and share it too.

robbo007

Post by robbo007 »

Here is the Transcopy copy dumped via DTC with the same settings as the original floppy. This version boots without problems.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bp6ad2jq ... C.zip/file

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

The TC copy dump is not a regulary kryoflux dump! What tool did you use to create it? It looks like a perfectly alligned data fetch... (Look at the small size compared to your first dump!)

BTW: It shows a modified index gap on the first track and a short sector on the last track which could be the copy protection.

David

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

In the first dump, the tracks are repeated over and over. It looks like the drive head is not stepping properly.

Verify visually that the head is stepping at each track. Check your power and interface cables. Sanity check the operation of your setup by dumping and writing a non-copy protected disk.

Is the first dump a dump of the ORIGIONAL, or a dump of your attempted COPY?

robbo007

Post by robbo007 »

robbo007 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:12 pm
Here is the Transcopy copy dumped via DTC with the same settings as the original floppy. This version boots without problems.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bp6ad2jq ... C.zip/file
This is a Transcopy from the original disk re-writen to a floppy disk then that floppy disk dumped via KF. You can see the logs in the zip.
Is the first dump a dump of the ORIGIONAL, or a dump of your attempted COPY?
The first dump is from the original disk using DTC GUI. See logs for CLI parameters used.
Last edited by robbo007 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbo007

Post by robbo007 »

brightcaster wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:26 pm
The TC copy dump is not a regulary kryoflux dump! What tool did you use to create it? It looks like a perfectly alligned data fetch... (Look at the small size compared to your first dump!)

BTW: It shows a modified index gap on the first track and a short sector on the last track which could be the copy protection.

David
Yes its much smaller. Not sure why? Its using the same settings as the original first dump. I used DTC GUI to dump it as I do with all. See comment above: "This is a Transcopy from the original disk re-writen to a floppy disk then that floppy disk dumped via KF. You can see the logs in the zip."

@Someguy: this is a fresh dump (using same everything as I used with the Wizardry I disk) of Wizardry VI which is 720kb disk with no disk based copy protection. My hardware setup is working fine.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yfwux1o0 ... t.zip/file

I am missing something in the parameters that this disk needs?

The original disk in question is from the original Wizardry Trilogy boxset by SSI. Which includes Wizardry 1,2,3. They all come on 720KB format. Each disk of the 3 games behaves the same as the one in question.

I've also have a standalone boxed copy of Wizardry 2 on 720KB and that dumps and writes back to disk fine. Here is the dump to compare it. The labels on both versions of Wizardry 2 (trilogy and standalone) are identical. Both say copyright 1987.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1b0x72id ... e.zip/file

robbo007

Post by robbo007 »

Im giving up on this. These floppies just don’t dump with KF. I’ll archive them with Transcopy instead. Hopefully if the dev team has time they can shed some light on this.
Thanks guys,