IBM PC 360kb disks: what is best 40track or 80track drive?

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
keropi

IBM PC 360kb disks: what is best 40track or 80track drive?

Post by keropi »

Hello!

I want to dump some IBM PC games that are on 360kb disks and I am wondering what is best to use for this: a real 360kb drive or a 1.2mb one?

thanks in advance for any info/help! 8-)
brightcaster

Re: IBM PC 360kb disks: what is best 40track or 80track drive?

Post by brightcaster »

I would prefer a real 360kB drive with 48tpi! The wider slot in the head should result in a better signal to noise ratio (about 3dB).

David
keropi

Post by keropi »

is there a way to write back a flux image to a 360kb disk with a 360kb drive?
I have an old Greek protected game and I want to see if a copy will work, it's a text-mode basketball manager
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Copy protected IBM PC titles are usually quite simple to copy with the Kryoflux.

Since you know this is a 360k disk, I also recommend using a 360k drive. If there are errors reading the non-protected data then sometimes trying a 1.2mb drive may yield different results.

1: Create a "preservation dump" using the GUI or DTC. A 360k drive should always be set to single step, and since you know this is a 360k disk, a 1.2mb drive should be set to double-step. Be sure to dump to the maximum track number that you drive supports.

2: Analyze the image for errors. You can feed the saved image back in to the Kryoflux GUI by specifying a stream file instead of a drive. You can also use the HxC disk tool for a nice graphical display, or the PCE emulator tools for detailed command line analysis. Identify the data area and the protected area, and look for errors that are not part of the copy protection.

3: Write the stream back to disk using DTC. Nothing fancy is needed to write the image back to disk. Be sure to specify the corect track distance/double-stepping for 360k or 1.2mb drives. Note that 360k disks written in a 1.2mb drive will not be reliably readable in a genuine 360k drive unless you degauss the floppy disk before writing.

4: Test and verify the operation of the disk software on a real computer.