Amiga / NDOS Problems

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
sTe

Amiga / NDOS Problems

Post by sTe » Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi,

Up to date, I have managed to image most Amiga NDOS / DOS disks with no problem.
I have a selection of Quarterback Sets that seem to backup ... but when I try to perform a restore from an emulator ... it returns an error about the catalogue being corrupt. I was suspicious when I performed this on the fourth backup set... Now I understand I need to use the version of Quarterback that I used when I first backed these up ... and im pretty sure I am. I am also looking and testing other versions ... just incase.

The ADFs backed up with no errors.
I also performed a preservation backup.
I have converted that to a new IPF and a new ADF using Keirf tools.

When converting, it does seem to give a warning about the expected size, and actual size differ. But IPF / ADF are created. And in both instances the restore also fails.

Also came across this problem with a disk that was written with an Amiga Action boot loader (not a DOS disk) ... ive had the actual disk tested on an Amiga ... and its fine ... but if I try to image it to ADF/IPF ... it only boots one block for the menu loader ... and stops.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might properly backup these Quarterback backup sets? I suspect the disk is written in a way, that doesnt work with ADF / IPF format? Can anyone test?

Kind Regards

Stephen

ZrX

Re: Amiga / NDOS Problems

Post by ZrX » Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Can you upload the raw files of one of the disks some place for us to look at?

There might be some extra data that can't be preserved with normal adf files.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Mon May 13, 2019 3:42 pm

As You said, it's very important to use exactly the same version for restore as the one which was used for backup! The good thing is that all versions of quarterback are available today (as they are abandonware now)! You find them for example at https://archive.org/download/CommodoreA ... cationsADF.

I remember having exactly this error message (corrupted catalog) on the real machine for several times in the past...

David

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver » Mon May 13, 2019 10:15 pm

sTe wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm
Hi,

Up to date, I have managed to image most Amiga NDOS / DOS disks with no problem.
I have a selection of Quarterback Sets that seem to backup ... but when I try to perform a restore from an emulator ... it returns an error about the catalogue being corrupt. I was suspicious when I performed this on the fourth backup set... Now I understand I need to use the version of Quarterback that I used when I first backed these up ... and im pretty sure I am. I am also looking and testing other versions ... just incase.

The ADFs backed up with no errors.
I also performed a preservation backup.
I have converted that to a new IPF and a new ADF using Keirf tools.

When converting, it does seem to give a warning about the expected size, and actual size differ. But IPF / ADF are created. And in both instances the restore also fails.

Also came across this problem with a disk that was written with an Amiga Action boot loader (not a DOS disk) ... ive had the actual disk tested on an Amiga ... and its fine ... but if I try to image it to ADF/IPF ... it only boots one block for the menu loader ... and stops.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might properly backup these Quarterback backup sets? I suspect the disk is written in a way, that doesnt work with ADF / IPF format? Can anyone test?

Kind Regards

Stephen
The answer is the same as on the EAB forum : you need the exact quarterback version used to pack the software. You can't use any version you want, you need the specific one you used. Otherwise, you'll get errors.

sTe

Post by sTe » Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have managed to get the backsups working.

You are right it has to be the exact version to be able to extract ... thank god these days tools are mostly written with backwards compatibility. Another set of disks backed up, and another set of disks on the way to landfill :)

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.