C128 Flippy Disk, unformatted on side 0 but disk is notchless?

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
BarryB

C128 Flippy Disk, unformatted on side 0 but disk is notchless?

Post by BarryB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Strange one!

Have a copy of Beyond Zork for Commodore 128, the disk is notchless so can't normally be written too! However, when dumping dtc shows side 0 as unformatted and side 1 with data! If I flip the disk then side 0 has data but side 1 shows unformatted, so it looks like side 0 really is unformatted (and therefore the disk is useless!). Needless to say the g64 of side 1 won't boot in WinVICE x128 (and volume label says INFOCOM-S2 so ties in with disk label saying 'other side is SIDE 2' showing it is a Flippy Disk).

Does this sound like the drive that duplicated this disk had a fault with the lower head? The disk also has 2 index holes so could it have been written on a single headed drive then flipped for side 1 but the disk only had side 1 written too hence side 0 still unformatted?

Feltzkrone

Re: C128 Flippy Disk, unformatted on side 0 but disk is notchless?

Post by Feltzkrone » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Perfecly possible. I have an original "Run the Gauntlet" disk with side 0 containing the content that should be on side 1 and side 1 is unformatted.

BarryB

Re: C128 Flippy Disk, unformatted on side 0 but disk is notchless?

Post by BarryB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Ah! Sounds more like 'operator error' then than drive failure, simply didn't put the disk in correctly for the side to be written. Looks like i'm off to find a 'disk only' of this game, or if those nice chaps at SPS would send me an IPF of side 0 I can bypass the write sensor and write a working side 0 without having to notch the disk, which I really do not want to do!!