IMG file to write to FDD.

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
flaviosr

IMG file to write to FDD.

Post by flaviosr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Dear All,

I have to surrender and ask for help!

I think that I have repaired my IBM 5155 and an IBM 5160. I have only to test them but they use 5.25 360Kb FDD.
I have found MSDOS 2.11 and 3.2 IMG images but I am not able to write them. :(
I have read what I have found and I "suppose" the right command is:
"DTC -d1 -fDisk1.IMG -w"
I have also tried the -wi command but I have no results:
"DTC -d1 -fDisk1.IMG -w -wi4" and also other "numbers"...

Can you help? What am I missing?
I have completely no knowledge about the various floppy image types... :(

Thank you for your help

SomeGuy

Re: IMG file to write to FDD.

Post by SomeGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:16 am

Kryoflux does not natively know how to write IBM PC disk sector images. It only natively supports Amiga .adf, and .g64.

To write any other sector image using a Kryoflux, you must convert it to a Kryoflux stream file using the HxC disk tool: http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emu ... l#download and then write the resulting stream file to disk.

flaviosr

Post by flaviosr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:21 pm

Hello,

Ok. Now it writes! :)
But the resulting floppy is not readable.
The PC sees it and it's possible to see the content but the files are unreadable. Only "DIR" works.
I have noticed that DTC goes on writing (or trying to write) 84 tracks (from 0 to 83) and does not stop at nr. 39!
I am using the following command "dtc -d1 -fDisk1_img00.0.raw -w". Am I missing something?
When the command is launched DTC recognise the format of the floppy to be written...

Thank you

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:27 am

I assume you created the stream file with the HxC disk tool.

Did the resulting stream file have 40 tracks (0-39, one for each side)? If you fed it a 360k image, then the resulting file should be made up of a total of 80 raw files. If not then there might be a setting wrong somewhere.

Are you trying to write this disk using a 1.2mb drive? If so, that is extra tricky, as you must first thoroughly degauss the disk, and then make sure you specify double stepping on the DTC command line (40 track track distance, in Kryoflux terminology).

If you are using a 360k drive, you might try the parameter -e41 to... try... and keep it from seeking past the last track.