Amiga Sword of Sodan, 2 sets of disks with same issue!

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
BarryB

Amiga Sword of Sodan, 2 sets of disks with same issue!

Post by BarryB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Trying to dump Sword of Sodan, but having the same issue with both sets of disks I have!

After cleaning with IPA, as one set looked very dirty/mouldy and the other set looked far cleaner with a few spots of mould that I cleaned off, both sets dump like they were made of sandpaper! You can hear the disks scuffing as they spin and deposit dirt on the heads and physical scoring of the disks surface! I can't really see any obvious mold on the surface yet they simply produce bad results and dirty heads!

No idea what the problem is as all the Amiga disks I've encountered so far have cleaned and dumped without this particular issue! Is there a known issue with the disks used for Sword of Sodan or just bad luck I have 2 sets of badly moldy disks?

Any advice for alternative cleaning of these disks?

IFW

Re: Amiga Sword of Sodan, 2 sets of disks with same issue!

Post by IFW » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:11 pm

Sounds like bad luck... so far ;)

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:52 pm

3.5" disks are a pain to clean, especially to dry. And because they are smaller, scratches and dents will do more data damage. I've had a number of 3.5" disks that looked to be in perfect condition rip themselves up.

If you see more than a small spot or two of damage, or if you think there may be junk in the case, then your best bet is probably just to carefully crack open the plastic cover. Then you can clean the lining and the cookie. Or bake the cookie as needed. :) Unlike 8" or 5.25" jackets, the 3.5" covers/cartridges are easy to glue back together.

It sounds like you have found some very poorly stored floppy disks.

I have no idea about this specific title, but occasionally, sure, a vendor may have decided to save a few pennies by using poor-quality media. Usually, however, most software vendors chose higher quality disks.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:46 pm

Well, I used to open disks but now I just clean through the shutter, some disk just don't crack open cleanly!

But, I cracked open Disk 1 and cleaned the disk and more junk came off the disk so put it in another 3.5" shell but the resulting dump was the same, even after 2 or 3 cleans it still dumps like something is rubbing, now it looks like a mini 3.5" vinyl single :) Just wondering if the coating on the disk is now that dull with age or bad storage that the head is now rubbing on it rather than sliding over it?

Am writing these disks off as they are too far gone to dump reliably, i'll have to keep an eye out for a spare set of disks!

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:03 pm

What happens is the "binder" material that holds the iron oxide layer on to the mylar surface degrades and it starts to fall off. This will happen over time no matter what, but heat and possibly moisture will accelerate the process. Except for Wabash brand disks - those would fall apart when they were brand new. :)

There is a professional method that literally involves baking the cookies in an oven (yummy!) to temporarily restore the binder.

Other times it is residue or junk on the disk surface or inside the disk jacket. Usually, that can be cleaned off if the binder isn't already falling apart.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Sounds like what's happened, the fact it did the same in a clean new 3.5" shell rules out the fabric liner of the original disk as the cause and points to the surface of the actual disks being the cause!