Checking in...

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
rcade

Checking in...

Post by rcade »

Hi guys,

I haven't been active in "the scene" lately- apologize for that.
Of course, everyone comes and goes over time. :)

Anyway, I was testing some drives and dug up the most difficult disk to copy that I ever ran into.

"Star Rank Boxing" - Original GameStar green/white label. This (if I recall correctly) has a short track and a long track, possibly with mixed densities. It's an early version of V-MAX (before V2). The protection check sweeps up and down across the lower tracks on the disk after the intro- it was not possible to copy with any period-correct utilities, and I never could get it done with Nibtools, either.

I created an image with dtc (-i22a) and it runs fine in VICE. Wrote it back, works fine on original hardware. No problem at all, no special treatment.

Nice!

-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com

BarryB

Re: Checking in...

Post by BarryB »

If only it was as easy to create IPF :)

I've got all 20 of my c64 disks in SPS g64 format now, complete with Cyan/XEMAG and other protections, thanks to the support in dtc, all run fine in VICE too! So at least the c64 formats are supported to make your own working images, and with your database of disks we have a good idea of what protections they use :D

IFW

Post by IFW »

Here is my prediction for next year: creating IPF will be just as easy as it is to make a g64 now :)
In the meantime, we expect to have an update for the holiday season :D

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Great news!

How will you know if your IPF is 'good' though :)

IFW

Post by IFW »

Probably it will help that the data integrity will be validated ;)

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Cool, probably help when people submit dumps they'll have a good idea the dump is good :)