Write a Mac 400/800K sector image using Kryoflux

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
SomeGuy

Re: Write a Mac 400/800K sector image using Kryoflux

Post by SomeGuy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:02 am

Specfreak wrote:A Work Colleague rocked up with a Mac 1.44 formatted disk. I have no idea if it's good to begin with, so I've dumped it as Stream and then a few other formats. Not sure what I should be outputting it as or what can access it. I made a 1.5MB IMG file (MFM Sector Image) as the others were too small or skipping tracks.
Macintosh 1.44mb disks used the same low-level format as IBM 1.44mb disks - MFM encoding, 512 byte sectors, 2 sides, 18 sectors per track, 80 tracks per side. If it is winding up with more than 1.44mb of data, the disk might be damaged or oddly formatted, you may want to use another tool such as the HxC disk tools to analyze the dump. Or you can just throw the disk in a USB floppy drive on Windows and read it with Winimage - that will image mac 1.44mb disks, but it will not show you any files.

Specfreak

Post by Specfreak » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:45 am

SomeGuy wrote:
Specfreak wrote:A Work Colleague rocked up with a Mac 1.44 formatted disk. I have no idea if it's good to begin with, so I've dumped it as Stream and then a few other formats. Not sure what I should be outputting it as or what can access it. I made a 1.5MB IMG file (MFM Sector Image) as the others were too small or skipping tracks.
Macintosh 1.44mb disks used the same low-level format as IBM 1.44mb disks - MFM encoding, 512 byte sectors, 2 sides, 18 sectors per track, 80 tracks per side. If it is winding up with more than 1.44mb of data, the disk might be damaged or oddly formatted, you may want to use another tool such as the HxC disk tools to analyze the dump. Or you can just throw the disk in a USB floppy drive on Windows and read it with Winimage - that will image mac 1.44mb disks, but it will not show you any files.
Cheers, I'll give those a whirl. I think the reason it says 1.5MB in the OS (Mac OSX 10.10) is probably due to the way it calculates that. I think it had dumped 1.44MB as a blank disk provided with Mini vMac was the same size.
He probably used the disk on a Beige Mac G3 back in the day (some 11 years + ago).

I've asked him to bring in some others just in case his disk is just dodgy.

I've got a Teac USB drive, so can check that out under Windows (via Parallels). When you insert the disk, it asks to format/initialise on both Mac and PC. I doubt he would have used a custom format.

Cheers

spags

Post by spags » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:43 pm

I remember that there was a System Extension you could add on legacy Macs to enable support for the ProDOS filesystem. So a machine with that extension and PC Exchange would be able to read and write Mac HFS, Windows FAT and Apple // ProDOS. I don't remember anything about the capacities (never had the pleasure of using 3.5 ProDOS floppies).

Of course that would only have been useful if your colleague was targeting data transfer between Apple // computers, but just putting it out there as a remote possibility. I imagine that a ProDOS formatted floppy would appear unformatted on any modern Mac or Windows machine. If it is ProDOS, I think you can use CiderPress to try and open the WinImage dump.

spags

Post by spags » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:08 am

Sorry for another post, but incidentally someone has just released ProDOS v2.4 for the Apple // series.