Some Track requests, Shockwave Amiga, Joystix! version!

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
BarryB

Some Track requests, Shockwave Amiga, Joystix! version!

Post by BarryB »

Have dumped and submitted my copy of Shockwave which has the Joystix! logo stamped on it but my dump is bad, some tracks are damaged when put through disk-analyse from Keirs disk-utilities (he's added support for Shockwave) and when trying the original on my A500 the game fails to load various stages and the drive head steps back and forth infinitely trying to read the bad track, same for the generated IPF from my streams, you can see in WinUAE it stepping from 0 to the bad track and back to 0 repeatedly!

SPS 0723 is not 100% the same version as my dump, mine has no copylock on track 0.1 (it's unformatted) and there is no Piracy warning when loading but appears to be the same disk format.

So would it be possible to obtain streams of these tracks from the Joystix! version to create a good dump: T1.1, T6.0 (both show *B warning), T71.1, T72.1, T75.1, T76.1, T77.1 and T78.1, or does SPS 0723 have the same data on those tracks that are bad on my disk and if SPS can tell me are there any other bad tracks on my dump?

Or, if possible, the actual Official IPF of the Joystix! version of Shockwave (if it's been dumped), then I can write it over my bad disk!

IFW

Re: Some Track requests, Shockwave Amiga, Joystix! version!

Post by IFW »

Don't think it's been dumped... but if anyone could dump it, it would be great.

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Any chance you could compare my dump to your 0723 dump and see if they just changed some data to bypass the copylock/piracy warning? If the rest of the disk is the same I can write the tracks needed from that!

IFW

Post by IFW »

Not right now, but please do remind me of this later next week.

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Thanks, will bump this post next Friday, that's if I remember :)

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Didn't remember :(

However, obtained another copy of the Joystix! version and uploaded to /DUMPS/AMIGA/BarryB/08-12-2015 along with some others!

This one resolves to a working IPF in Keirs Disk-Utilities without errors so hopefully it's a 'good dump'!

IFW

Post by IFW »

Actually, the dump is full of bad tracks; 22 compared to the original dump with 6...

IFW

Post by IFW »

...so although it might seem to work, it certainly does not.

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

That's why I said 'hopefully'!

It was difficult to dump, must be a really bad disk then. Did clean it both sides but maybe just too old/damaged to make a good dump?

Which tracks and In what way are the tracks bad? Also,is there another way, other than your analyser, to gauge a good dump? I have noticed that the 4us, 6us and 8us bands seem to alter on bad tracks, is that one way to gauge a bad track for non DOS disks or other logging options to help identify 'bad' dumps?

Out of curiosity, are the 6 tracks that were bad on the 1st dump good on the 2nd dump? T1.1 and T6.0 have the same warnings on both dumps so not worried about those!

IFW

Post by IFW »

The first dump has bad tracks at: 71.1, 72.1, 75.1, 76.1, 77.1, 78.1.
0.1 is either unformatted or completely wiped. Based on the second disk, I am tempted to say unformatted, especially since on the retail disk that track contains a Copylock key track, so if this release is an unprotected disk, before the Copylock was added, it should be certainly unformatted.
You seem to be lucky, as although the second dump has tons of bad tracks, none of them are at the same place as the bad tracks on the first disk :)