X68000 Dumps

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
hyperneogeo

X68000 Dumps

Post by hyperneogeo »

Okay so I got a KryoFlux a few days ago and I'm trying to dump a bunch of X68000 games. What I tend to see for the regular 1.2MB games is even though I use the correct settings (or so I believe) in the GUI, it always dumps with "Good, but with an error of modified data" on all of the areas. Is this normal? The size of the image is a little too big to be seen by emulators, but I mean I can open the file in Disk Explorer, create a new floppy image and chuck everything in there from the dumped file and it will work fine, but is there any way to create a 1:1, rather than doing this?

I also received an X68000 doujin game that is a 1.4MB 2HS format. It does pretty much the same thing as above, but dumps it as a 1.4MB image. However I can't open this in anything no matter what. Am I missing something here?

SomeGuy

Re: X68000 Dumps

Post by SomeGuy »

The kryoflux software has a mechanism that detects small amounts of "junk" before or after a sector. These bits of junk are the result of writing an individual sector, because the time and location at which the drive head starts and stops writing will vary by minute amounts.

Disks created with a professional disk duplicator will not have this "junk" because they write entire tracks at once, not individual sectors. So Kryoflux uses this as an indication that a user may have written to, or "modified", the disk.

It should only be regarded as an informational warning, not an error.

"Modified" sectors are perfectly normal for any user-created disk, or original disks not created with a professional disk duplicator (not that uncommon for items produced only in small amounts).

The kryoflux image decoder gets very easily confused if the disk geometry is not exactly what it expects. Usually it tries to pad things out to the size it thinks it should be. Try manually specifying the number of heads, tracks, sectors, and sector size for your specific format. If you are using the GUI, you can create an additional format profile in the settings.

hyperneogeo

Post by hyperneogeo »

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

IFW

Post by IFW »

SomeGuy was spot on.
In addition to what he said, what he describes is actually by design:
The padding size automatically used by the host software is the minimum size that would cover ALL sectors on ALL tracks in the image without losing any sector content - this is by design, as this is the behavior you normally want when examining an image for preservation; you don't want to miss out on any sector content.
Once you've decided what you actually want to keep of this data, enforcing the sector count etc. is possible; from this point it's your decision whether you want to keep some sector content or not.