Write a Mac 400/800K sector image using Kryoflux

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
ZrX

Re: Write a Mac 400/800K sector image using Kryoflux

Post by ZrX » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Hm, I have to revisit my code at some point. I too got unformatted errors when redumping the remade disks, but the disks did work ok on three Mac SEs.

You wrote it back to a DD floppy and not HD?

dandee

Post by dandee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 pm

Hey ZrX. Thanks for checking again. Yes, I used DD disks. The drive ejected them right away and showed the crossed out disk icon. Finder could not read or mount them either, but gave me the option to initialize it. That's what I did, to see if there are any errors. Usually the mac checks every sector after formatting and is very picky, if something is not right. But the disk initialized without any error, so it seems to be physically okay.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:39 pm

dandee wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 pm
Hey ZrX. Thanks for checking again. Yes, I used DD disks. The drive ejected them right away and showed the crossed out disk icon. Finder could not read or mount them either, but gave me the option to initialize it. That's what I did, to see if there are any errors. Usually the mac checks every sector after formatting and is very picky, if something is not right. But the disk initialized without any error, so it seems to be physically okay.
I worked on the bitcell timings and when dumping the just written disk I got only few if none unformatted tracks. Comparing graphs to a dump made from original Macintosh system disk the bitcell timing should be pretty spot on now.

Both my SE and SE/30 were happy with the written disk.

Before writing, if at all possible, throughly wipe a used disk using some strong neodymium or so magnet. I had quite a lot of issues when writing to a previously used disk until I wiped it so that DTC couldn't find any data from it anymore.

Write using the command line: dtc -w -fdumpname -we2

Macintosh.zip
(18.95 KiB) Downloaded 38 times