Münzenloher Atari ST floppy disks

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
Iggi

Münzenloher Atari ST floppy disks

Post by Iggi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:24 pm

Several months ago I got an Atari ST from a colleague of mine, including several original floppy discs. Among them are 4 discs by a company called "Münzenloher", which seems to have distributed floppies by "PD-Szene" (public domain applications / games / libraries for Atari ST). All of the discs can be used with the real Atari ST without a problem, however I'm struggling to access the data of 3 of the discs on a PC.

When creating a regular MFM sector image no sector of those floppies can be read successfully; when converting the stream to a MFM sector image nonetheless mounting the image on Linux is successful, but the mounted directory is empty.
Looking at the image file with vim reveals that the content is generally there. Continuous text seems to be interrupted by a sequence of more or less random data though...

The data is not important, but I'm still wondering why those floppies cannot be read with a PC...

As the applications, games and libraries are public domain anyway I have uploaded the KryoFlux stream dumps to:

kodak80

Re: Münzenloher Atari ST floppy disks

Post by kodak80 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:26 am

These 3 disk dumps look OK. The Modula2Sammeld334 disk needs cleaning as the dump has errors. Image of the disk below is showing errors on the disk.

They all convert to STX format fine as they are non-standard disk formats which a PC cannot read. They are formatted with 10 sectors and most PCs only read 720kb or 1.44mb formats. The converted STX images of the dumps work fine in Steem SSE emulator. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Modula2Sammeld334.raw.png

Iggi

Re: Münzenloher Atari ST floppy disks

Post by Iggi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks a lot for your help! Following your analysis I chose a 10 sector count for DTC, and now the disks can be successfully read and mounted. Dumping the Modula-2 disk with another drive also got rid of the read errors.