Notchless IBM PC 5.25" HD disks showing modified?

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
BarryB

Notchless IBM PC 5.25" HD disks showing modified?

Post by BarryB » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Have a copy of Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2 for IBM PC on 10 x 5.25" HD Disks which are notchless, but when dumping dtc shows Disk 4 and Disk 6 as completely modified, how is this possible on notchless disks?

Dumped with: dtc -p -fname/stream -i0 -v360 -i4 -l8

SomeGuy

Re: Notchless IBM PC 5.25" HD disks showing modified?

Post by SomeGuy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:48 am

The disks were not written by a professional duplicator, but they were instead duplicated on a standard computer modified to ignore write protect. Early runs of such products were often like that. Commonly, last minute updates were often simply re-used existing packages, updated manually on a standard computer.

It is a tad odd that only two disks in the set are like that. The disks could have been mix and matched during publishing, or it could represent an update that only involved those two disks.

However if these were previously used, don't completely rule out the possibility that a previous user may have tampered with them using a similar drive.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:18 pm

It is odd only 2 disks are showing modified when all the others show unmodified, but if that's how some disks were duplicated back then I guess that's the reason. Someone having a modified drive though and only writing to those 2 disks, to me, just seems unlikely.

In the same box was the 3.5" set as well, 17 x 720k but disks 16/17 show modified (Disk 17 has files deleted) and all disks from 1 to 15 show T00.0 as being modified? Someone is bringing up another set of the 3.5" disks from their copy so I can compare/repair my set!

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:12 pm

So, the other set of 3.5" disks turned up, and they are worse than the set I have!! Most of the disk labels were falling off, all disks show +H warnings, 7 disks had unresolvable bad tracks and 2 were HD disks with DD format so had to tape up the HD hole to get them to read!! But, Disk 17 was OK so managed to write a new Disk 17 for my set!