Obtaining a proper drive for use with KryoFlux

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.

Obtaining a proper drive for use with KryoFlux

Postby ecksemmess » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:31 am

I've just purchased a KryoFlux Premium and am greatly looking forward to using it. I was hoping to get one of the carefully selected 3.5" 84-track drives offered in the store at the same time, but they're currently unavailable. I really don't want to take my chances using just any old drive, especially after reading this:

"We do buy floppy drives from various sources. Some are broken, some are dirty, some are severely misaligned. We select and clean them and make sure they are as good as new and prepared for usage with KryoFlux. The reason we do pick new old stock or used drives is the evolution that has happended. Drives from the late 1980s are usually best, were made for daily usage, but have a high failure rate due to leaking electrolytic capacitors and wear in general. Drives from the 1990s are still very good but are younger. Because CD ROM was evolving quickly, drives from the late 1990s were usually only used for emergency boots or driver installations. Large companies often bought pre-assembled machines with floppy drives that booted from network which leaves the drives in like new condition. Floppy drive quality started to degrade somewhen after 2000. Due to falling prices and the fact that floppy drives were nearly unused in most machines, cheap production methods lead to drives that will misalign easily because of a flakey body construction of folded sheet metal - in contrast to the older die-cast variants which are very sturdy. Bad engineering of the electronics part can add to the mechanical problems.

So if you get something that looks used - please be aware it has been fully tested and was chosen for a reason."

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near enough of an expert to do this sort of drive selection and restoration on my own, and I really do want to make sure that I use a drive that's capable of holding up and performing well with KryoFlux, since I have many hundreds of disks I must archive. Therefore, I'd like to know if anyone has a spare KryoFlux-approved 3.5" drive (84 track preferable but 82 will do in a pinch) that they might be willing to sell me. I would pay any reasonable price you might ask. I don't want to take chances randomly picking something on eBay, but if it comes to that, perhaps I could buy a drive there and then send it to someone here to check it and prepare it for use with KryoFlux? Again, I'll pay a very fair price. Please PM me if you can help. Any advice on this is most welcome. :)
ecksemmess

Re: Obtaining a proper drive for use with KryoFlux

Postby mr.vince » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:48 pm

We'll get that sorted...
mr.vince

Re: Obtaining a proper drive for use with KryoFlux

Postby ecksemmess » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:51 am

Thanks for that :)
ecksemmess

Return to Support