Drives confirmed working with KryoFlux

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.

Re: Drives confirmed working with KryoFlux

Postby esynthesist » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:44 pm

I have set the jumpers on mine like they were set on yours.
No success.
Then I tried many more combinations. No success.

There's no light. Just 3 spins of the motor. No matter how the jumpers are set.
Is interface pin 2 (of the 34 pins connector) being used by Kryoflux ? Because the manual of my Chinon is mainly focusing on the impact of jumper settings on the meaning of pin 2...

Anway, I'm giving up; I will install this drive in my PC (where it works) and I will use the Teac with the Kryoflux.

My conclusion: Chinon FZ-506 Rev A does not work :cry:
esynthesist

Postby mr.vince » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Hmmm... strange.

Maybe there's trickery with this one. I still don't think it's a hardware issue, because then motor would not work, too...

Maybe we get a chance you send it over and we have a look...
mr.vince

Postby esynthesist » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Maybe we get a chance you send it over and we have a look...

That would cost a lot more than the drive is worth :) I got it for free :D
I can survive with the Teac.
Maybe I will try some other ones that I'll try to get from some friends and colleagues.
Does it make sense to try 1985 DD drives such as the one used in the Emulator II ? (they are not HD, so maybe that wouldn't make sense according to the Kryoflux manual...)
esynthesist

Postby skitt » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 am

I've successfully dumped disks (so far IBM PC only, DD and HD) using the following two drives:
  • Panasonic JU-257A (3.5"), all 84 tracks (this one is already listed but without mentioning the number of tracks)
  • NEC FD1157C (5.25"), all 84 tracks

Thanks for a great little device! Here's hoping Linux support arrives soon ;) (I'm using Windows XP in a VirtualBox VM with USB pass-through for now).
skitt

Postby mr.vince » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:08 am

Cool.

Windows is just the most pleasant way to reach as many people as possible during development (including virtual machines).

But yes, the codebase is prepared for multi platform usage (in fact it should be very easy to port). The GUI, which is in the making as well, is based on Java.

We just want to check some compatibility issues (which were expected because this is a first gen device), put in DRAFT and then port it.
mr.vince

Postby mr.vince » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:39 am

esynthesist wrote:That would cost a lot more than the drive is worth :) I got it for free :D
I can survive with the Teac.

Yes, but we're really keen on finding out why my rev. here works, but yours does not...

esynthesist wrote:Maybe I will try some other ones that I'll try to get from some friends and colleagues.
Does it make sense to try 1985 DD drives such as the one used in the Emulator II ? (they are not HD, so maybe that wouldn't make sense according to the Kryoflux manual...)

Excellent idea. And yes, why not try a DD drive and see how far we get. We don't recommend these, but can't hurt, especially when writing is there. Some havebigger heads that write larger tracks, can be useful when dealing with C64 stuff...
mr.vince

Postby koe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:22 pm

I've successfully dumped some disks with the following drives:
5.25" HD: Tandon TM75-8, 84 Tracks (Worked fine with C64 and IBM PC disks)
3.5" ED: Sony MP-F40W-23, 82 Tracks (I did not yet try to dump an ED disk, Amiga DD and IBM HD disks worked fine though)
koe

Postby esynthesist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Additional successful drives from my side:
3.5": Panasonic JU-257A393P (no jumpers), maxtrack 83
5.25": Mitsubishi M4853-342M (original Emulator II DD drive from 1985, DS0 jumper set), maxtrack 83
esynthesist

Postby TerokNor » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Sorry, I'll have to correct myself. None of my 5.25" drives work for dumping. It doesn't seem to be KryoFlux' fault, though. They also refuse to read any disks when installed in my 486 DOS machine.

When trying to dump what I think is a standard DOS format disk, different drives either report "No flux reversals found" or all MFM tracks as unformatted.
TerokNor

Postby tect » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:55 pm

I have here a HP-branded

5,25": Matsushita/Panasonic JU-475-3EAF, maxtrack 83

that is dumping C=64-disks at the moment :mrgreen:
tect

PreviousNext

Return to Support